Animated film for young audience: theaters, TV, DVD
Two friendly rabbits, at the heart of winter, see their reserve of carrot jam exhausted. But who said that carrots grow only in gardens? Certainly not the uncle Robert who bequeathed an invaluable treasure to them…
In 2013, Arnaud Demuynck, producer at Les films du Nord, after having seen Lustful and hemeralopic, asked to me whether that would interest me to make a animated film, for young public, which would increase the program “The scent of carrot”. This film should be done with small resources, and would be diffused within the program in the theaters, from March 26th, 2014.
Working with limited means request to think very closely to each decision. It is not a question of working without being paid, nor to sell off its competences, but to weigh each choice (of writing, of design, animation, production) so that all is coherent, captivating, and so that nobody feels injured to have worked on the film. That also requires to think the relation between the producer and the author differently. Lastly, it seemed to me to be important to consider, from the beginning of the creation, of the developments of the project that will bring other returns: activities files uploaded on internet each day of the Advent 2013 (below, a photo of box-carrot proposed on December 21st), derived products,…
I wrote a text, in verse, and i pay particularly attention to assonances. It was important that the actor who would say the text would be able to support the musical quality of it, without attenuating its meaning. I wished also a beautiful deep voice. Arnaud made me listen to a record of Christian Léonard, and I was immediately captivated by his incomparable, deep and rich voice. When we recorded the voice-over of the film, I was really happy: he could give to each word its weight, tell without loosing musical quality of the verse. He is an excellent actor, and it was a pleasure to work with him.
The carrot jam tells a madcap adventure of two rabbits who find themselves out of carrots at the heart of winter. Their provision of jam is exhausted. Fortunately, thanks to the invaluable notebook of their uncle traveller, they will make a miraculous fishing season on the open ocean, and will make their favourite dish.
The graphic universe is which one I am fond of: mix of simple forms and textures, white borders, bright colors.
I animated the film with After Effects.
Thierry Viel composed and arranged the music of the film so that it goes together with the voice of Christian, and so this voice becomes itself an instrument.
Writing, direction, animation : Anne Viel
Voice: Christian Léonard
Music : Thierry Viel
Production : Arnaud Demuynck, Les films du Nord
Selections in festivals :
– PLAY, Festival du film pour l’enfance et la jeunesse de Lisbonne (Portugal)
– Festival de Cinéma d’Animation de Pontarlier (France)
– Animafest, Zagreb (Croatie)
– CHILDREN’S FILM FESTIVAL SEATTLE (pre-K to 2nd grade screening) 22 janvier au 7 février 2015
– Festival REGARD sur le court métrage au Saguenay, Chicoutimi (Canada)
– Plein la Bobine, La Bourboule & Mont-Dore (France)
– Festival du Film Court de Mont-Tremblant (Canada)
– Partie(s) de Campagne, Ouroux en Morvan (France)
– Pula Film Festival (Croatie)
– Cartoon Club, Rimini (Italie)
– BUSTER, Festival international du film pour l’enfance et la jeunesse de Copenhague (Danemark)
– Chicago International Children’s Film Festival (USA)
– Rencontres internationales du cinéma d’animation, Wissembourg (France)